9.06.2011

we had a little leak









All summer long, we've had a leak in the ceiling in our bedroom but it became a steady stream of water over all the rain the past week. Although, we have always beens very skeptical of our ceiling since we moved in 3 years ago. It looked like a leprous monster and mom has told me numerous times that when she hears an ambulance, she thinks the ceiling has finally fallen in on us. The monster has in fact been soaking up gallons of water for months and since the ceiling was made of about 3 tons of cement and metal mesh, we had no idea what was happening until the leprous sponge was soaked and finally started to drip into our room. So this needed to be done. 

Yesterday, Labor day, I had a small list of things I wanted to get done since the baby is due in 3 weeks but Mike was going "investigate" the leak a little more. I told Mom that was code for, tearing off the whole ceiling but I wasn't totally ready for the amount of destruction the project would cause. Good thing I spent the morning, cleaning out a bunch of other stuff because we needed all the boxes to pack up our room and shove them into any possible place all over the house. But, the renovation is moving right along. They got the whole ceiling down and the nasty nasty carpet up. There is a pretty decent wood floor and we've decided to actually build a wall to make the room into two because it is giant. That way, we'll have a walk into the closet/nursery on the other side. 

I would have probably spent months obsessing over how and what to do but they will have the new ceiling up and floors sanded and it will be ready to be painted soon and I would LOVE to have my house back in working order before this one comes which I hope is not any earlier than expected. 

 I am very excited to have a nice clean space for us and the little one and am trying to find inexpensive/ free ways to get it all put back together. 

3 comments:

Normal Mom said...

I love your positive attitude! Hafe says if you aren't redoing any electrical it won't be so bad. Wood, drywall and insulation aren't so expensive.
I'll be there soon to help. A nice fresh bedroom will be a great blessing to you when the baby comes.
Hafe also says that we could abandon our children (or their schooling) and he will come too so he can use his cool nail gun and fancy hammer. :)

Alicia Vial Beesley said...

wow! I am happy to hear that your ceiling will not be falling in on you anytime soon. It will be nice to have a nursery. Good luck these next few weeks we are sending lots of prayers your way as you gear up for number two.

Leilani Bascom said...

WOW. Carpet gone already makes a huge improvement to the room! At least that was a nice surprise in the mess of it all.