10.03.2008

The past week.

I've been so busy with the tasks at hand, I have hardly taken any photos or had any time to post the few I have taken. This is a completely different sort of trip for me--a real work trip so it has been shuffling from supplier to showroom to shops trying to price and source what I can for the Inn anything else I can imagine. My trip happened to fit nicely into the beginning of the festive season in India which means lots and lots of holidays which means days off for the people we are working with that we didn't expect which means we get one too! We headed to Jaipur for 2 nights with the two little ones. It is enchanting place, but the road to Jaipur (The Tata death Slalom) is anything but. The "highways" in India cease to amaze me. Anyway here are some random bits and pieces. Now that people are back into working we have a lot to do. All the fabrics will be amassing at the factory and now it is time to pairing things together, making some samples, and finalizing prices.

The little beauty staying busy with these weird potato based sticky things on the
4 hour journey to Jaipur.
The little man giving me his "angry face" accompanied by the
his favorite english word, "bad"
A snapshot of what it's like being trapped by TATA trucks...4 hours of this.
Amer Fort, just outside Jaipur. We watched quite a cool movie that was filmed
there but more on that later. It is BEAUTIFUL!
Lovely Plumeria in the hotel gardens. They took me to this place that was sort of like the Polynesian Cultural Centre
of Rajasthan. Folk dancing above.

There were camel and elephant rides. Wow my hsir was puffy.
I am not a huge fan of camel rides but this one was only a few minutes
unlike the totally bizarre experience Lucy and I had last time
when my camel was trying to eat hers.
This was the traditional Rajistani meal we had. All Vegetarian and grainy and good.Outside the hotel. I am TOTALLY setting Syd or Mad up with this little man.
I have already shown him pix.
Neither Deepa nor I liked the posed photo of ourselves
and this is what we are like more of the time...
Me and Megha (Deepa's sister)
Just your regular ole bangle cart.
Her new bangles.
What a little beauty eh? Pretty sure, her English is better than
mine was when I was 5.

The Hava Mahal in the Pink City.
The newest Bollywood flick "Drona" out that day. There were droves
out to see it. Something about super powers?
All above the shops in the Pink City are lovely worn doors, shutters, and windows.

I am working on a new post over at the Inn site of some more of the work stuff that I've been doing as well.

7 comments:

Normal Mom said...

gorgeous pictures as always

bikeemikey said...

Hey there Chris, Looks like another awesome little adventure into Rajasthan. I forget how amazing the colors in India are. I really miss the traveling. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Mike

Charlotte Rose said...

Cool Chris, I am soooo jealous you have such a cool life. Good luck with choosing cool things for the Inn. Everything just looks super cool.

me said...

Man, that has got to be the cutest little angry face ever.

Xanthe saw a pink building yesterday and was so exited. I'm sure she'd go NUTS over a pink city!

what an awesome life you lead...

tom and jonelle said...

fun fun

Rich Vial said...

Thanks so much Chris. It reminds me of how the intensity of the Indian culture compels us to introspection. You have captured the joy and difficulty of navigating as a westerner in that very different location of human spirit. Your spirit is an example of how all of us should interact with our brothers and sisters throughout the world. Thanks for taking the time to use your talents to share this with us. rich

Jared said...

Totally Jealous! Except for the camel ride. Never been a fan of riding big hairy stinky animals! (I had a bad experience!)