6.16.2007

Happy Father's Day to Stevie Ray

me and my dad just after i turned 8

Tomorrow is Father's Day in America...oh wait, Tomorrow is Father's Day here in America. Wait, that makes no sense either. You know what I mean so here's a wee tribute to my Dad, Steven Ray Larson (aka Big Red). I think he's on the road but I can't wait to see him soon...2 years is WAY too long to go without seeing my family. I know that now. Since I didn't get a card in the mail ( I get that from my mom) and don't know where he'll be to call, I thought this would do.

10 Things i LOVE about my dad:

10. This face he used to make when I was little. In fact, I remember him teaching me how to make this face. You know, not everyone is able to squinch their lips to their nose like this...only truly special people.

9. How he bought the Ace of Base album when it first came out and used to blast it out of the the Volvo. Hey, they're Swedish. We gotta support our roots!

8. His pancakes. I think he makes the best ones. I don't know if they themselves are the best, but they always came at the right time. Saturday mornings. And how he used to call us from the bottom of the stairs when they were ready. I liked waking up (if you can like waking up) to that.

7. This one time I was home from school we went on this fantastic ride on his motorcycle. He knows the one I'm sure. The road meandered through pine trees in the high desert. It was warm and relaxing. I remember when he saw dips in the road, he would speed up just a bit so we could feel our stomach drop, just for fun. It started raining a little at one point. It felt warm and I loved the smell of the wet asphalt. The road took us through a small town with a cool diner. We got hamburgers and fries. Boy, they were good. The best I had had in ages. It was beautiful and I think I even fell asleep on our way back home. Perfect.

6. His laugh. Just thinking of it makes me smile. It's really high pitched when he gets going but varies from a chuckle to a cackle. It's varied, I think most people's are. I know mine is really varied. I remember times sitting at the kitchen table falling over because we were all laughing so hard. That must be good for your health, to laugh that way.

5. His cowboy boots and belt buckle. He's got the coolest turquoise belt buckle and matching turquoise ring. Very becoming. Dad suits cowboy boots. He's not a cowboy and doesn't pretend to be but he looks cool in boots. I'd like to go back to that boot outlet with him and get some myself. :)

4. His Volvos: The cream one in particular. I can't remember exactly what year it was, maybe a 76 or something. Man, that thing just never gave up going. Dad is very innovative. It needed a new grill so he cut up a laundry basket and used that. It was also rusting to death but dad just got some spray paint and painted over the rust spots with black and little bit of yellow spray paint remembering that the car was creme colored. After that, people called it the leper, the leopard, or spot. It was quite the site to see. Every once in a while, he would add a bit more when it needed it. That car was awesome.

3. His little birthday treats. I have several birthday memories from dad. When I was 12, Mom was really busy with a Theatre Festival so dad took care of my presents. He got me the new Michael Bolton tape (which I listened to every day on the bus on my walk man), and this cool yellow sweat suit with fuschia and turquoise flowers. I wasn't so much into the pants but I LOVED the top. He knew I loved color! Then when I turned 16. We were in the middle of the performances of Cyrano Rock and I remember when I woke up quite exhausted from the performance the night before, Dad had gotten lots of little photos of me and made this cool web with string and pictures across the entrance to the dining room. It was so creative and what a fun way to wake up for your sweet 16.

2. Dad always used to write us notes/letters on yellow legal pad paper. They were iconic. I loved getting them while I was at university. He's also very good at sending interesting information that he might find, you know FYI stuff. I've really appreciated and loved getting them as I have lived far away for most of the last 8 years.

------and number UNO is....

1. Semper Fi! This sort of goes along the lines of the last one, but he always signs his letters and emails with Semper Fi Delis which means "always faithful" in Latin and is the Marine Corp slogan. In his latest email he wrote, "keep bikin, hikin, trampin, churchin, and lovin. Semper fi delis" .I love it! This has been a theme he's carried with him and taught us throughout our lives. He's been an awesome example of faith and enduring to the end. Happy Father's Day Big Red! Love you! See you soon.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Love it Chris. beautiful beautiful beautiful.