9.10.2006

Istanbul continues...

The Grand Bazaare. It is one of the oldest covered Markets in the world! I must say that if you've been to a market in Asia, there are very few Markets that can top that but the Grand Bazaare was brimming with beautiful yumminess. We didn't know particularly how to get there but just wandered into one of the entrances and we found magic. Lanterns, Leather, Clothing, Rugs, Scarves, Pottery, Leather, Jewelry, Antiques, Bags, did I say Leather...it was overwhelming at the beginning but we got into it. It was difficult to know who was actually being straight with you, as they are VERY aggressive salespeople but we found this one jewelry stall and they seemed direct and we indulged in some beautiful coral lovelies for me. My knees get weak around turquoise and coral and here was BOTH! Help me. If my aunties could see all this.
After my time with the jewelry we were more warmed up to the shopping thing and began looking for some new shirts for Mike. We went to stall after stall looking for bargains and most importantly, bright colors. We found some rad colored collared shirts for Mike...all Lacoste...we go for nothing less but I think they sew the aligator on backwards in Turkey. hee hee. This one stall had some great colors and it was like a jackpot for Mike. He found what he felt was "the coolest shirt ever" with orange and blue stripes. It is pretty cool. Mike liked it so much he even wanted to get two. He got enough to warrant a deal. Now, it certainly wasn't as cheap as Asia, but it was fun!
It was easy to get completely turned around and lost in there. I left Mike for a few minutes and could not find my way back because it all looks the same. Same lanterns, same rugs, same scarves. I tried to mentally take note of where I turned left or right but it was so difficult to differeniate between everything. We certainly got into it. Sadly, I don't have a picture of the purchase of the day....the Red and White Leather Jacket that I got. Mike has noticed it in a window at one point and you get all excited about being there, he was determined to find it again. We wandered ALL over looking for it until we found it again. Mike really wanted me to try it on and I wasn't so into it...I mean I hadn't thought of getting a leather jacket and didn't realize that Turkey is actually the Leather capital of the world. Well I tried it on and it was pretty damn cool. It's knee length, red with white accents. Trust me, it's one amazing leather jacket. A guy just today said, and I quote, "That is the coolest jacket I have ever seen". I was a little aprehensive but Mike bargained it down and I know my children will be fighting over who gets that jacket. Thank you Grand Bazaare!

And after our long day at the Bazaare we wandered around the Sultanhmet neighborhood and I found some cool Turkish design details. It's a great area.

No comments: