1.22.2009

Yep, they are groovin AND throwing shakas.



Mom, K80, and watch the events on Tuesday morning at her place. I don't think I have ever actually watched one all the way through. I love the this candid moment as they are groovin' to the music.

Like many, Mom and I spent some time deconstructing the make of Michelle Obama's outfit on Monday. A Wool Lace coat and dress custom designed for her by Cuban-American designer, Isabel Toledo. I guess she had no idea, until she saw her that day, if she would be wearing the design according to this article which also details the make of the dress.







I thought it rocked. When everyone else was bundled up in somber felted wool coats and cashmere scarves, Michelle was rocking it out in an ensemble that was lemongrass (stop) wool lace(stop) paired with Olive (stop) gloves, heels, and tinted Olive waist tie. Cool choices. Some have, in fact, metaphorized her outfit but I think she picked a color that popped on her complexion, was functional for the event, and fun. Of course, I am not against a new dawn and era either.

Is it really so? Are we harking back to the days of Jackie O with her style, sophistication, and 1st Lady trend setting? I think so. I am always up for some color, some interest, something out of right field--like Aretha Franklin's hat which was also tremendously cool.





But my spine tingling was when President Obama said
"And why a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you today"

This IS change happening right before us and that I am excited for and am impressed by. Mom mentioned that she can remember when the movies were still segregated in her small town in AZ and here we are today with someone who would have been told that he couldn't, that he can, and he did. This is real change the many people have lived through. I love that sense of opportunity to change and grow that exists in this country--a sense of hope and energy that is still alive.




3 comments:

Normal Mom said...

One problem with Aretha-- great big giant hat....teeny, tiny little pin.

Sara said...

It was an awesome day! And, I love that they actually look and act like a loving couple who are not afraid of a little PDA...

Hailey Vial said...

I was glued to the tube too. I loved her outfit, she was stunning in a comfortable way.
I was just so impressed throughout the whole day with how gracious the Obama's seemed to be, and the fact that ours is the most peaceful, unified changing of power anywhere. very cool day. too bad she kept stepping on her train that night.