12.01.2008

O-Mama!

A few things about the people in this picture...and you all look great so no complaining that I posted this picture. That is my dad's sister, Aunt Beverly ( I am named Christina Beverly after her) and she turned 80 this year. The theme for her 80th b-day was "O-Mama is 80 in 2008". Most of her family wore ( bright red t-shirts with the slogan on the front and then "vote democratic" on the back. Aunt Bev's shirt said, "I am Mama". She was one of the first (or the first?) women to be involved in the Legislature in the state of Utah as well as traveling to all 7 continents (including Antarctica) and even down to see me and Mike in New Zealand, working as a parole officer until just a few years ago, a mother of many and a very special Aunt to all of us! She really is awesome and I miss her. I wish I could have seen her but at least I can call her up when I want to chat. She is immovable and amazing.

My sister and her family were able to meet up with Mom and Dad while in Utah to vistit Aunt Bev all together. The girls got to partake of the very same things we always did, home made lolli-pops (suckers), the swingset that has been there for over 40 years, and her fridge of colorful magnets. It is good that some things NEVER change.

Now, I would just like to note that i can't wait to see Mom and Dad (who are moving out here next week) and that I love Dad's smile and think Mom's hair looks cool and we can have short hair together this winter! So now I just need to get Joy out here for a girl's weekend sometime after Christmas to complete the circle.

1 comment:

Normal Mom said...

I'm all for the girls weekend! Maybe that will be a good present for my birthday.
Aunt Bev is great. She probably wasn't the first woman in the Utah Legislature, but she did serve for 20 years, which I believe was the 2nd longest stretch in Utah History--need to look that up. She was recruited into politics by Cal Rampton- a very popular democratic governor for Utah. I think it says a lot about her abilities that she continued to get re-elected as a Democrat in a heavily Republican county/state. I loved looking at her Democratic Party buttons and credentials. She's been to every convention in the last 40 years. It just broke her heart to not be in Denver this year. She's just not able to handle all the waiting and navigating through big crowds anymore. She is a great lady, that's for sure.