10.17.2007

....Llasa

Tibet is in in your face culture. Of course, Llasa is a mix of Han Chinese and Traditional Tibetan culture but we were all in awe of what we saw today.Tibetan prayer flags are strung across most rooves and the sky is a perfect blue and the clouds white and light. The sun is hot and the weather is that perfect temperature but when the sun goes down or you are in the cold it gets cold. The city is surrounded by tall mountains with the Potala palace towering above the city in a prowess I never thought a building could have...the Edinburge Castle is close. I can't imagine what it would have been like to see that place from a distance before the city was sprawling around it. It rises 13 stories so we thought we would wait another day of rest before climbing the stairs up.
 
We woke up a bit lazily since we were smashed from the train ride but made our way toward the most visited and most sacred Temple with the most sacred statue in Tibet and it also happened to be a special pilgramage day so it was quite the day to be there in and amidst of everyone. I don't know that I am articulte enough to describe the beauty of the Tibetan people, especially the woman, olive skin, blushed cheeks from exposure to the elements, hilighted by these incredible turquoise earrings. Long Black hair braided with solid bright coloured yarns of purple, green, yellow, orange, and red and adorned with chunks and strands of coral and turquoise and silver. Luckily we did get some pictures because its just too hard to express. Awe-some as in I am full of awe over these people.
 
Lining the streets were stalls and stalls of jewelry. Some of it amazing and some of it obvious knock offs. Just the corals and the turquoises alone were glorious ( my two favorite stones) and I want one of everything. But we are talking huge chunky necklances, as in golf ball size stones...yeah, big. I wish I could have my Aunt Janet here to help me discern through this stuff. Just going to have to come back.
 
 We entered the temple and were immediately meshed into a line winding its way through the belly of the temple. Later we found out that we went in the pilgrims entrance not the foreigner entrance...so we got the real deal and were shown where to bow our heads and which way to go, although we were in a pretty tight line for about 2 hours as we entered many smaller rooms of devotion to Buddist gods before entering to "the" room which was a statue encrusted with gold and jewels and a monk told us where to touch our forhead and pay our devotion. I swear the Tibetan people ( you know in my whole day of being here) are the most smiley people I have ever been around, seemingly very kind and gracious with beautiful kind smiles. These faces...love it. I don't know that I would bring that much joy into a total strangers life with just my smile...then we climbed to the roof and got the most amazing views of the Potala and in the very distance on one of the bigger peaks I could see prayer flags that had been strung between the two peaks. Yes, there is something very unique about Tibet. I am not one to rate cultures but Tibet is unique (oh wait I just said that) and I haven't even left the city yet...
 
oh and we switched hostels to a place that a free laundry service and we all got all our stuff washed...it had been, I don't know, 3 weeks! Just in time. After that bit of wandering we were tired people and wandered our way to this internet place and are just relaxing a bit. We are planning on another 3 nights here and then we are going to venture out into the countryside...
 
Nate I want to come back here with you!
 
 


Catch up on fall's hot new shows on Yahoo! TV. Watch previews, get listings, and more!

2 comments:

Gail said...

Oh, I feel enthralled just reading about it. This will have to be a place we got someday too. Love your photo - love it totally!

ego non said...

Chris-
I absolutely love reading your vivid and exciting blog. Tibet is my dream. I'm so pleased you've been there. Reading your descriptions of it makes me weak in the knees-- in that good way.
e