8.17.2007

Once


So the ChCh Film Festival is going on. Last night Liz and I went to see "Once" an Irish Film. I had seen the previews for it on imbd months ago and really wanted to see it. It was brilliant. It's being described as a modern day musical, Romeo & Julietish love story. Wow. I haven't been so moved by a movie in ages. The music is beautiful (all original by the two leads who are musicians, not actors). It doesn't even feel like you are watching a movie, but just a fluid look at these peoples' lives without it feeling at all like a doco. I personally love the music and it reminded me heaps of Nathaniel and Felicity ( my wickedly talented musical friends). It was about good decent people who made some damn good music together. I could have watched it again right after it was finished and the music has been going through my head all day. Go see it. I give it


CCCCC (5 out of 5 C's)

few interesting notes about the movie:

- Made for $160,000 dollars
-receiving the World Cinema Audience Award for a dramatic film at Sundance this year

- Glen Hansard (lead Guy) is part of a popular group called The Frames and was in The Commitments.
- Hansard and
Markéta Irglová (lead girl) do infact play together and have an album called The Swell Season.
- As of July 02, 2007,
Once had high ratings from two popular film review aggregation sites: it was deemed 97% "fresh" at Rotten Tomatoes[3] and scored a grade of 88 ("universal acclaim") according to Metacritic.[4]


4 comments:

Zillah said...

I've been wondering about this movie. And now, since I absolutely trust your unerring sense of perfect taste, I'm going to see it...as soon as I get my next paycheck.

Chris said...

Anna, perfect taste eh? You know you always make my day with your lil wee comments. Um, can you please move EAST for school, pretty please?

Gail said...

Oh cool, I hadn't even heard of this, Im soooo behind the times. I will be sure to check it out when or if it comes to the Santa Cruz mountains in the next 5 weeks.

Brooke said...

Chris - Stuart and I saw this movie last night. When you recommended it so highly I decided to see it. I agree, it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I can't get it out of my mind, it was so beautiful. Thanks so much for posting about it!!!