9.10.2006

Turkey 2006! Finally Finished


Finally I am finished! I have now posted all of the pictures from our trip to Turkey this past May. It was a fantastic trip and a new favorite spot. So much texture and layer of culture. It was brilliant.Our trip began with a a lay over in Dubai. We were starving and I'm not sure if it was out of humour or hunger that I ordered the "McArabia" but the experience began here.


After our arrival to Istanbul and a very quick drive to our guesthouse in Sultanhmet (which is the place to stay, at least on your first visit because it's close to everything) we got out for a walk to get some fresh air when we were seduced into a carpet shop. Luckily, we learned so quickly upon arrival how vicious and thirsty for sales these carpet salesmen can be...we barely got out alive. Now, the carpets were AMAZING and somehow I snapped these pictures (I think I said my mother might like to buy one...which was one of our schemes to buy a little time as he wasn't going to let us leave without buying) while they showed us some of the hundreds of carpets they had in their shop. They are gorgeous and sure, I'd love to have one but I don't have several thousand kicking around. Hussein was his name and he has us cornered with some apple tea ( yum yum) and wanted us to make an offer on this rug that he had sort of picked out for us somehow and we just couldn't do it anymore...pretend like we could afford it. So we just up and made a B-line for the door, promising we'd return the next day to purchase. He even offered that we take the rug home with us and an accompanying carpet bag to ensure we'd return. We got out and didn't look back. In fact, we were moderatley traumatized by the experience and took a back alley for the rest of our time so we wouldn't have to pass the store again. We had learned our lesson and knew what it meant when they said they just wanted to sit down for some apple tea and chat.

Our wonderful little Marmara guesthouse. I would highly suggest staying there if you are in the area. Wonderful family, nice breakfast, and very convienient. The family made our entrance to Turkey great. What a trip. Enjoy the Pix!

No comments: